Friday 15 June 2007

Icky, Yucky, Grimy, Slimy stuff (Not exactly Sublime Rapture!)

We’ve just moved into a new house and recently I had a good look at my kitchen floor and realized that even though I’ve been washing it, there are really bad grime spots. I’ve known they are there but always thought that it will come clean with the washing. I’m not particularly one for scrubbing on my knees. But I realized very quickly this floor is not going to get clean. So I used diluted bleach according to instructions. Still, nothing. Do you know I had to use PURE UNDILUTED F*ing bleach to lift the grime? 1 liter of bleach, 1 mop and 1½ hours later and I still didn’t finish the floor. The mop gave in first. The bleach would’ve been second. And my lungs are very unhappy with me, even though I opened up all the windows. I’m convinced that the previous owners never washed this damn floor. And I really mean NEVER. We get these nifty floor wipes that you put under your mop and clean your floors with and it’s really quick. I’m flabbergasted. I will apparently see them soon and I tell you I’m hiding…I’m not home…I’ve lost myself in a safe, grime-free, germ-free, crap-free and prettily painted corner of my mind (if you find me please send me home). It’s just that I’m worried I’m going to say something horrible and I want to avoid an upsetting conversation with them.

It is hard work cleaning the house, but the basics takes me 3 hours/day (please consider I’m cleaning a rather large house for two people and I really wasn’t made for ironing). And I'm one of those few disturbed people who is pedantic enough to use a toothbrush to clean hard-to-reach places. I know, I need to get a life. Ok, I feel better….No wait…, wait……NAH I'm OK.

I’m sure the bleach got to me and disturbed my otherwise well behaved self, so I’m going to say goodbye before I write something stupid.


See the difference between the light and dark? You can still see the splashes from the bleach. Eewwee!

My poor, poor mop. It didn't last very long!

7 comments:

Rethabile said...

Free State girl, huh? You're right that it's funny to meet at an American's blog. I hail from Maseru, and have family in Bloemfontein and Jo'burg.

Nice blog. I'll visit often.

The OFS is a nice place, what are you doing out of it? (Silly question as I'm obviously not in Maseru either).

Kae-Lyne said...

Hi Rethabile

Lesotho is also a gorgeous place, what are you doing out of it? Ok seriously..We're living in the UK as my husband got a very good job offer and we get to see different parts of the world at the same time. We've only been here 3 months and loving it.

I miss my friends at home. At least they were on the same wave length as me. It's not terribly easy finding friends who live, eat, sleep and drink literature. I don't want to talk about the latest celeb gossip (poor celebs), I want to talk about literature!

Oi, enough babbling. It's very nice meeting you and your blog has been bookmarked. All the best to you!

Anonymous said...

Kae - this is a great post. One of my favorite things to do is go crazy with some activity (like cleaning in your case) and then bring that same level of insanity to paper and write about it. This is just fun to read!

Kae-Lyne said...

Hi D

This post was actually part of an email I sent to my sister-in-law. She was crying she was laughing so much, so I figured...what the hell. I'll post it and see what happens.

Thank you for you lovely comment. I hope I can punch out more of these in the future.

Rethabile said...

Smile. You have been blog-rolled on Sotho.

Rethabile said...

I forgot to say: I blog more often at my poetry blog. That's where I "met" Dennis. It's http://poefrika.blogspot.com/

Cheers

Kae-Lyne said...

Ah, thank you for letting me know. I'll rush over there immediately!