Thursday 28 June 2007

Who dare cast the first stone?

Before you judge my writing to quickly, or should I rather say, before I judge My writing too quickly there is something I need to tell you. English isn't my first language and it's only been 7 years since I learned how to speak it fluently. If you imagine a child growing up in an English household learning to speak from the age of two, my English theoretically equals to that of a 9 year old. Considering I know a few BIG words (ostentatious, whimsical, dariole, nyotalpia and of course I know the meanings) this improves my verbal and written age considerably. I would say 18, 19 are good numbers? What do you think? What age do you think my English grey matter is? Please try not to burst my bubble. Be kind, OK!

Bearing all of this in mind, there are always room for improvement. This is the only time I wish I was "older." Therefore I'm pretty pleased to announce that I have committed myself to one year of studying Creative Writing at the Open University. After studying 5 years at University level, I'm rather tired, but what the heck. I'm only 30 and I really, really, really want to write. REALLY!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't know it was a relatively new language for you. And I don't even know what nyotalpia means. I think you are doing very well.

Kae-Lyne said...

Hi Dana. Well thank you for your lovely compliment. With most things the novelty wears off after awhile, but I love the sound and feel of English words and never get tired of reading and learning. What is interesting is that I can't write in Afrikaans, my native language.

Ka

PS: Nyotalopia means night blindness.

Dennis said...

I was going to say the same thing Dana said. I didn't know the meaning of dariole or nyotalpia.

But more importantly - oh so more importantly - do not let the judgment of others define who you are! To put your identity into the hands of others (strangers or not) is a very dangerous thing. Your self image is far too important, valuable and worthy of care for you to do that.

In the end, the only opinion that matters is yours. And in the end, it's only an opinion.